Wednesday, October 28, 2009

5 little pumpkins sitting on a gate...


Since I have focused a lot on scary lunches for my son, this one was geared more towards my pre-school aged daughter.  Here are 5 little pumpkins sitting on a gate (ok, more like a fence).  The pumpkins are carrot chips with nori faces. The fence is leftover noodles from dinner.
Also are rosemary bread, raisins, yogurt with granola and blueberries.


For my son, I had made a tombstone the other day when I made the rosemary bread, and used extra rosemary to spell R.I.P which was my son's clever idea.  The 'grave flowers' (it needed some color) are cut from honeycrisp apples which don't brown as easily (Thank you Michelle for that tip).

If my son's lunches seem to be getting skimpier, it is due to the new fruit bar at school.  They have added a free, fresh fruit bar to the lunchroom.  Both bringers and buyers can help themselves to the fresh fruit.  I am sure it is not organic, but right now I am content with him having a fresh piece of fruit in addition to his lunch brought from home!  

I am so grateful that the Halloween lunched hit when they did - he has not asked to buy his lunch since!  I just need to keep the momentum going AFTER Halloween!

7 comments:

  1. That's terrrific that the school provides fruit to everyone. Hopefully it will help more kids get thier five a day!

    I don't have any good plans for post Halloween, sadly. Until a little closer to thanksgiving it's back to fall I guess. Leaves are just not as much of a draw! I think I'm going to try and stay on top of what his k class is doing as thier weekly theme and use that for lunch inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Ang, and 'flour' girl! This one is definitely more cutesy.

    Kristen, It is a new program that just started in the last few weeks. I don't know a whole lot about it, but it sounds wonderful! There are a lot of kids at our school who most likely do not get a lot of fresh fruits otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving it!!! Keep it up! I never would have thought of doing pumpkins like that... NEVER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo bento!! I wrote a post about this. I was thinking of starting it for my son in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little pumpkins are so cute ... they are one big happy family I supposed :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this post on another blog and it reminded me of you :)
    http://www.thepickyapple.com/blog/2009/10/29/jack-o-lantern-fruit-cups/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin