Monday, October 26, 2009

bloody fingers

The girl and I did a baking day today, and while making the rosemary bread rolls, I took the liberty to make some of the dough into fun shapes (more to come later this week)!

I made bread fingers with almond fingertips (honey used as 'glue' ), and raspberry vinegrette as the 'blood'.


ok, ok, some of you may think this is too gory for a 2nd graders lunch, but he thinks it is cool and if you have read previous posts, you know what I am competing against.  Well, lunch lady doesn't serve bloody fingers, does she (second thought, don't answer that...I don't really want to know that answer).

The kiwano (horned melon) just looked halloweeney.  I just had to get it.  I had never bought one before and had to read up on how to cut/eat it.  If unripe, the inside tastes like a fruity cucumber. If ripened, it has more of a banana taste.  I bought it because of the orange, spikey outside. Little did I know the inside looked like green slime.  We did a mini taste test with the kids tonight and they said they liked it.  They know to scoop it out and eat the insides, seeds and all.  We'll see how this one goes over... it does have a lot of seeds!)
Last are carrot chips and.. a cookie!

**my daughters lunch is the same, but without the fingers.   We saved her a finger for an afternoon snack.  Can you just hear that one?  "Mommy saved me a finger to eat when I get home today, teacher."  

7 comments:

  1. LOVE these!!!
    Following you from MBC.
    www.ajourneytotheson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so creative! My son would get a kick out of these. :)

    Please drop by my blog to pick up a couple of awards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just way to gross to eat, but then again I'm not a little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok that is gross but I can see where a little boy would love it. Great lunches. You are so original.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popping in from MBC!
    Now following you...

    I don't know if I could eat that, it looks too realistic. However, if that's the look you were going for... Then you've done your job very well!

    My son would get a kick out of it too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin